Biblical spiritual fasting has many purposes and benefits. One of them is Biblical fasting breaks the bonds of wickedness and addictions that keeps us in the bondage of sin and moves us beyond the flesh to the higher spiritual realm. This is what the Prophet Isaiah [58:6] says about fasting:
“Is not this the fast that I choose: to loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the thongs of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke?”
If you have been spiritually oppressed by the devil, or are struggling with unhealthy additions that you arent getting breakthrough by praying – fast and pray! A fast that YAH acknowledges is one that a man:
- HUMBLES himself [Isaiah 58:5];
- Renders his hearts and not his garments [Joel 2:13];
- Returns to YAH with all his heart, in weeping, mourning and affliction of soul [Joel 2:12];
- Seeks YAH wholeheartedly for His mercy, strength and power through the Holy Spirit [Jeremiah 29:13]
And Isaiah continues to outline the benefits of fasting [Isaiah 58:8-11]:
“Then shall your light break forth like the dawn, and your healing shall spring up speedily; your righteousness shall go before you, and the glory of Adonai shall be your rear guard. Then you shall call, and Adonai will answer; you shall cry, and He will say, Here I am. If you take away from the midst of you the yoke, the pointing of the finger, and speaking wickedness, if you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noon day. And Adonai shall guide you continually, and satisfy your desire with good things, and make your bones strong; and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters faile not”.
What a wonderful promise! Claim it an walk in it.
A Contrite Heart & Humble spirit
[Isaiah 57:15]: For thus says the High and Lofty One, Who inhabits eternity, Whose Name is Holy “I dwell in the high and holy place, and also with him who is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite“.
Adonai Himself by the power of His Spirit revive our spirit and hearts when we are humble. Our own righteousness is a filthy as rags. But His Mercy endures forever.
I’m fasting and seeking YAH to break the addition of idleness and misuse of the precious gift of time, especially on Facebook. And seeking YAH to help me to be humble before God and man. May all the bonds of wickedness, addictions and idleness in my life be broken in Yeshua’s Name.
Practical Things You can Do
1. Determine what kind of fast you want to undertake: a Daniel fast (live on water. fruit juices, vegetarian no meat), a liquid fast where you take only water/fruit juice or a total or day fast (no water and food, complete abstinence).
2. Determine how long you’d like to fast. It can be 12 hours (6:am – 6:pm) or 24 hours. Or 2-3 days, etc. If you are are beginner, don’t try longer days of fasting. Start small and build up from there when your body gets used to going without food. Fasting is a commitment you make with Adonai so do as His Spirit leads. Ask the Holy Spirit to lead you into these these. Avoid trying dry fasting for days if you have medical conditions. Best seek professional medical advice.
3. Dedicate the time to prayer, Bible-reading, and stay focussed on YAH. Stay focussed on the purpose of the fast and seek Him. Listen for His still small voice. YAH will lead you to His Word and open your spiritual senses to His revelations. Rejoice Always!